Have you tried scallops with chicken ? This recipe idea clicked when I saw these fresh scallops last weekend doing groceries . Chicken with scallops is a great combination and the spices used in the "chettinad masala" brings out the flavors extremely well. If you love scallops and want to try something different, this is THE RECIPE. Next time I'll try the dish just with scallops :-) This is my second chettinad recipe; earlier I have tried almost a similar dish with Blue Crabs. Also the ingredients I have used in chettinad masala for the Crab Chettinad Masala dish are a bit different from this one. Do check it out :-)
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 30 to 40 minutes
Serves : 4 to 5
- 1 lbs. of chicken (with bones), cubed into small pieces
- 0.5 lbs. of scallops
- 1 cup of red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp red chili powder, adjust heat level according to your taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2, whole red chilies
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- a bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
Ingredients for masala to grind:
- 2, 1" piece of cinnamon
- 3 to 4 green cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 to 4 large garlic cloves
- 1" piece of ginger
- Dry roast the garam masala (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves) and other spices (peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds) individually ,at a time on medium low heat until you get a nice aroma.
- For preparing the masala, you need to follow this sequence. Firstly, make a fine powder of the ingredients of garam masala (ie. the roasted cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and bay leaves) in a blender. Next to it, add the roasted peppercorn, cumin seeds and coriander seeds, blend well. Lastly, add the ginger pieces and garlic cloves and blend all together to make a fine paste.
- In a non-stick pan, heat a tbsp of oil, add the mustard seeds, when it starts to sputter, add the whole red chilies and curry leaves, next add the chopped onions with a pinch of salt (by adding salt helps to cook the onions quickly), let cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to turn brown.
- Next, add the turmeric powder and red chili powder and let cook for a minute or so, until the raw smell of the turmeric vanishes.
- Next add the masala paste to it and let cook by constant stirring for another minute until you get a nice aroma.
- Lastly add the chopped tomatoes and let cook covered on medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes until the tomatoes turn soft and the spices are cooked properly.
- Next, add the chicken cubes , salt, as required, mix well with the cooked spices , cover and cook on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the chicken is half cooked.
- Lastly add the scallops and let cook covered for another 7 to 8 minutes.
- Before removing from heat add the chopped coriander leaves , sprinkle a tbsp of lemon juice.
- Serve hot with Rice/Chapatis/Naan.
Sending recipe for the event Cook with spices- Red chilies hosted by Sumee's Culinary Bites
also sending recipe for the Master Chef event in Divya's space
Sending recipe for the event curries/gravies hosted by cuisine delights
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!