I'm so fond of sambar masala, I keep experimenting in my recipes whenever possible. In this recipe for salmon I made an attempt to use it as one of the key ingredients for fish marination , which resulted in this delicious Pan-Roasted Sambar flavored Salmon with sweet caramelized Onions. Sambar powder is a popular and key ingredient in southern Indian cooking. The key ingredients include roasted lentils, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, dried red chilies, coriander leaves, curry leaves; there are a lot of variations to it depending on the region . The spices used in the sambar masala compliments the strong flavors of salmon extremely well; half of the fry vanished before lunch time & I hardly managed a few clicks :-( .....and look who has come to visit !!!!!
Preparation time :20 minutes
Cooking time : 10 to 12 minutes
Serves : 3 to 4
- 1 piece Salmon fillet, approx. 1.3 lbs., can use Salmon steaks or any other white fleshed fish
- 8 to 10 shallots, chopped lengthwise
- 1 pinch , asafoetida
- 2 tbsp oil
Ingredients for marination:
- 2 large tbsp sambar masala powder, I have used MTR brand
- 4 tbsp of tamarind pulp
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Clean the fish thoroughly, keep marinated with a tsp of salt. In the mean time, add all the ingredients for marination, marinade the fillet on both the sides, keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in skillet, when the oil is hot enough add a pinch of asafoetida, next add the chopped shallots and fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until it turns a light golden brown color.
- Add another tbsp of oil, gently place the marinated fish on the onion bed, fry for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat . Before flipping it over, spread the onion evenly on top and let cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion turns a very dark golden brown color on both the sides .
- This is a great side dish for rice , can enjoy as an appetizer too.
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!