Chicken / Seafood soup is a common classic comfort food which is considered highly nutritious and has therapeutic value for common cold. As my little princess was down with cough and cold the entire week , I kept searching the net for a quick and easy home remedy , when I happened to come across an interesting article as published on SCIENCE DAILY in Oct 2000.
Easy Home made Chicken stock
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 to 25 minutes
Chicken and Prawns Noodle soup
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 12 to 15 minutes
Serves : 5 to 6
According to the studies, "Chicken soup contains a number of substances with beneficial medicinal activity including an anti-inflammatory mechanism that could ease the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections. Researches from the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Section of the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha , Nebraska initiated a study to evaluate the possibility that chicken soup may be a factor in attenuating the inflammatory response associated with colds.The recipe I have used here is inspired from net and a few more articles that I came across. I prepared this nice and comforting Chicken and Prawns noodle soup for my daughter twice this week and I saw it worked wonders on her :-)
- Few chicken bones
- Few Spinach stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced into large pieces
- 1 sweet potato, diced into large cubes
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, diced into big pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onion, can use one medium onion instead
- 1 Bay leaf
- 7 to 8 whole peppercorns
- Salt, to taste
- 5 cups of water
- Put all the ingredients in a pressure cooker, after the first whistle simmer on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes in the cooker itself. Let cool, then strain out the chicken stock. This would be the base of the soup. In case you cannot arrange for stock , use water instead.
Chicken and Prawns Noodle Soup
- 1 cup of chicken, diced into cubes
- 15 to 20 small sized prawns
- 1 medium carrot, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup of blanched spinach
- 1/4 cup of fresh corns
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- a cup of rice Noodles, I have used Maggie Atta Noodles as we all love the taste of it :-)
- 1 tbsp of margarine
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper powder
- In a wide bottomed skillet, heat a tbsp of margarine, add the chopped garlic and fry for a few seconds. Next add the diced chicken and prawns and let fry for a minute or two .
- Next add the carrots and corn and stir for a few minutes. Add the chicken stock and let cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt, if required .
- Lastly add the blanched spinach and the cooked noodles , cook for another minute. Leave it to stand for a couple of minutes.
- Add lemon juice and pepper powder, serve hot.
Sending Recipe for Carrot Recipes event hosted by Sameena
Also sending for event Soup it up hosted by Nupur
also sending for event Comfort food hosted by Daily Cuppa
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!