One more authentic , popular Bengali cuisine made of Bata fish , Brinjal and Spicy Urad Dal Bori(Vadi)/Bata macher Begun ar Bodi die Shorshe Jhal.
Bata/Labeo bata(Bengali name: Bata) has its natural inhabits in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan. It is also found in river ,lakes, pond and similar water bodies. It is well known for its excellent taste and one of the most popular Fishes with a high market value because of its easy availability.
Udad Dal Bori/Vadi is one more delicacy used in a lot of Bengali dishes including Veg. They can be made spicy and non spicy ones. In this dish I have used the spicy ones made of Udad Dal, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, Red chili powder and black pepper powder. You should not add salt to the Boris specially used in making curries.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves : 5
- 1 lb.Bata Fish ( can use any white fleshed fish instead)
- 4 medium sized Brinjals, cut into halves
- 9 to 10 spicy Udad Dal Bori/Vadi
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp mustard seeds powder (I used the sunrise brand, if not available can make a homemade paste of black mustard seeds)
- 1 tsp panch foron
- 2 green chilies , slit lengthwise
- Coriander leaves, optional
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
- Cut and wash the fish pieces thoroughly. Marinade with salt and a pinch of turmeric. Pan fry to a light golden brown color on both the sides. Keep aside.
- Pan fry the Urad Dal Bori, keep aside.
- In a flat bottomed skillet, add the Panch foron, once it starts to sputter, add the green chilies and the onion and fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Next add brinjal and turmeric powder and let cook covered for a minute or 2 until the raw smell of the turmeric vanish. Lastly add the chopped tomato and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt and let cook covered until it starts to boil. Then add the fish pieces and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes .
- Lastly add the Mustard paste (TIP : If using the ready made mustard powder, make a paste of the same with 2 to 3 tbsp of water and keep aside for a minimum of 10 minutes before use) and Urad dal Bori and cook for not more than 2 minutes. Add the chopped coriander leaves (optional).
- Serve hot with Rice.
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!