This is an authentic Bengali dish made of Banana flower, split yellow Moong beans /Moong dal and Fish head with some assorted vegetables. Adding moong to this dish definitely has its health benefits. Moong dal is considered a good "Body Builder" food for vegetarians. It has a high source of protein and is very digestible,also contains very less fat as compared to other meat products. This dish can also be prepared without the use of Fish Head. Goes well with Rice/Chapati.
Those who are not familiar with Banana Flower , it is a large, dark purple-red blossom that grows from the end of a bunch of bananas. They are snugly enclose delicate, sweetly scented male flowers. The female flowers, which do not require fertilization to become fruit, grow further up the stem from the male flowers. Once the tougher, darker outer bracts are pulled away, the paler and more tender inner leaves are used in a number of dishes, prepared in a variety of ways.
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves : 5 to 6
- Fish head of any big fish , cut into half ( I have used Katla)
- 2 Banana Flowers/Mocha
- 200gms. split yellow moong beans/moong dal
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 10 to 12 small brinjals, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium sized potato, cut into cubes
- 1 n 1/2 tsp panch foron
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1" piece of Ginger, made into paste
- 2 green chilies,slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
Steps for preparing the Banana Flower
- For preparing the Banana flowers, discard the parts as shown in steps 1 and 2. Thanks mom for guiding me. Hope this is helpful for those new to Banana Flowers, including me :-)
- Next boil the flowers for 5 to 6 minutes, keep aside. In the mean time dry roast (without using oil) the moong dal, keep aside. Also fry the fish head, keep aside.
- Next, in a Cooker, add the Moong dal, Banana Flowers and Potato with 5 cups of water , turmeric powder and salt, pressure cook for 4 to 5 minutes. If not using cooker, use a large wide bottomed pan for this procedure, dal should be 80% cooked after completing this step.
- Next heat 1 n 1/2 tbsp of oil in a large wide bottomed pan , add the panch foron, once it starts to sputter, add the Bay leaf and the ginger paste, once frangnant, add the green chilies and onion and fry till translucent.
- Next add the fish head , mix well with the spices, add brinjal and cook for another 2 minutes, then add the moong and banana flower gravy from the cooker and let cook covered for another 10 to 12 minutes or until it is fully cooked , maintain a semi consistent gravy. Can add another cup of water if required. Sprinkle cardamon powder before removing from heat.
- Serve hot with Rice/Chapati/Parathas.
Now coming to the award. Teena of Teenz' Yummy Delights have passed on this beautiful Happy Blogger award. Thanks Teena for the kind gesture.
Now is my turn to pass the award to few of my Blogger friends :-)
Please accept the Award and pass on it to your Blogger Friends to keep the ball rolling.....:-)
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!