I don't know why I didn't post this recipe before, but this is one Quick and Healthy side dish which my mom prepares almost everyday for lunch. In this recipe ,you can add different veggies according to your choice and taste. Instead of prawns , my mom sometimes use Fish head of Rohu/Katla. There's one very special recipe made using cabbage and head of Rohu, which I may post very soon.
Exclude the prawns if you like. This is one good recipe for vegetarians as well.
One spice mix that is used in this recipe is Panch phoron (Bengali 5 spices ). I have mentioned about this spice mix in my earlier posts . As a recap, Panch phoron, also known as panch puran is a colorful blend of flavorful seeds - the green of fennel seed, black mustard and nigella seeds, golden fenugreek and buff-coloured cumin seeds. There are other variations like : substitute anise for the fennel seeds or wild mustard for cumin, radhuni seed for mustard, and possibly black cumin for nigella. If not available in market, add all the ingredients in equal proportion or according to your taste.
There are lot such Bengali recipes which are very simple yet healthy and flavorful. I'll come up with more such Recipes down the line :-)
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 6 to 8
- 2 medium sized radish, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 lb. Pumpkin, cut into 1"cubes
- 7 to 8 small sized Brinjals, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 cups of chopped spinach
- 10 to 12 small sized prawns
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp panch phoron
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Salt, as required
- Oil, as required
- Wash the prawns thoroughly, deshell them. Keep marinated with a pinch of salt and turmeric for sometime. Pan fry the prawns, keep aside.
- In a wide bottomed non stick skillet, heat a tbsp of oil, add the panch foron. Once it starts to sputter, add the chopped onions, green chilies and turmeric, fry for a minute or two or until the raw smell vanishes.
- Next add the prawns to it ,fry well with the spices.
- Next add the Radish and let cook for a minute or two.
- Next add the Pumpkin and Brinjal consecutively and let cook until half done.
- Lastly add salt , coriander powder and Spinach leaves, mix well and let cook covered until fully done .
- Serve hot with Rice and any side dish of your choice. Can also serve with Roti/Parathas.
Now coming to the award :
Deep@Deep's Food Blog has been so sweet to pass on this lovely award to me.
Thanks a ton Deep for remembering me ......
She has a wonderful blog with so many unique and interesting recipes.
I would also like to take this to thank all of my fellow blogger friends for visiting and inspiring me with their lovely comments and continuous support :-)
Now is my turn to pass on this award to 5 of my Blogger friends :
Reshmi of Easy Cook
Shobha of Food Mazaa
Nandini of Nandini's Food
Jay of Tasty Appetite
1.Accept the award. Post it in your blog with the name of the blogger who has given you this award with a link to his/her blog.
2.Pass it on to 5 other blogger friends…. to keep the ball rolling.
3.Let the nominated blogger know about their award (leave a comment in their most recent post).
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!