As I was expecting some guests today from India , I thought of making this wonderful and authentic fish curry recipe from the royal kitchen of Hyderabad . This cuisine prepared with exotic spices is quite popular in South India . Although there are different versions of this fish curry recipe , I have prepared the one that suits my palate adding some ingredients of mine .
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 5
- 1 lb King Fish, Cut into 2" pieces
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 8 to 10 whole black pepper
- 1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 4 almonds, soaked in water
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp warm milk
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Oil / Ghee
- Wash the fish thoroughly and cut into 1" pieces. Marinate the fish pieces with salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Soak saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
- Dry roast the poppy, cumin, coriander, fennel and pepper seeds, add in a blender with chopped onion, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste, 1/2 tsp turmeric, kashmiri chili powder, almonds with 1/4 cup water and blend well to a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil /ghee in a non stick skillet and shallow fry the fish on both sides till it attains a golden brown color on both sides.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil/ghee , add the bay leaves and the spice paste and fry well on medium heat till it is brown and aromatic and the raw smell of the spices vanish . Add the yogurt whilst stirring on low heat and keep stirring till the ghee/oil leaves the side of the pan.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil , next add the fish pieces , salt and cook covered for 10 to 12 minutes on low heat. Next stir in the saffron milk and chopped coriander leaves , cover and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until all the flavors blend in well.
- I have used coriander leaves and boiled eggs to garnish. Serve hot with Rice or Paratha.
I'm sending this Recipe for the event Treat to Eyes : Series 2
also sending Recipe for event Hearth and Soul
Now coming to some beautiful Awards that I received from my fellow blogger friends ! It's always so exciting to receive awards from your friends! I'm so so happy !
This is a "Participation award" that I received for participating in Food Palate Series : Brown . Check out for her next exciting event Food Palate Series : Pink
Raksha of Raksha's Kitchen has been so sweet to pass on this award Galore to me. Thanks a ton Raksha for remembering me and for your continued support! She has a wonderful blog with so many unique and interesting recipes.
Here is my Award Galore :
I wish her all the very Best ! I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of my fellow blogger friends for visiting my blog and inspiring me with their lovely comments and continuous support :-)
Now I would love to share this beautiful award Galore to 15 of my Blogger friends.
- Shobha of Foodmazaa
- Ayeesha of Taste of Pearl City
- Stephanie of The Starving Artist
- Sushma of Authentic Food Delights
- What's cooking Italian Style cooking
- Simply Life
- Deepti of Panchamrutham
- Reshmi of Rasoi
- Pushpa of Taste as you Cook
- Biny of Biny's Recipes
- Nandini of Nandini's Food Page
- Gulmohar of Collaborative Curry
- Sarah of Vazhayila
- Sravani of Srav's Culinary Concept
1.Accept the award. Post it in your blog with the name of the blogger who has given u this award with a link to his/her blog.
2.Pass it on to 15 other blogger friends…. to keep the ball rolling.
3.Let the nominated blogger know about their award [leave a comment in their most recent post].
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!