With this Fabulous Crab recipe with Mustard and lemon juice , I hereby welcome Spring in my own way. For quite some time I was thinking of trying a recipe with lemon juice as the key ingredient, and what best than trying it with the onset of spring . Addition of lemon juice is not just refreshing , it enhances the flavor of this dish . If you do not prefer crabs, try this recipe with Tilapia or King Fish . You can also try sweet water fish like Rohu or Katla. They taste equally good .
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 3
- 3 blue crabs
- 3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp white mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Water, as required
- Cut and wash the crabs thoroughly. In this dish, I have used the flesh with the cover portion and the claws , have discarded the hard outer cover and the legs of the crab.
- Keep the white mustard seeds soaked in 1/4 cup of water for about 15 to 20 minutes. Blend it well to a fine paste.
- Now, in a large non stick skillet, heat oil and add 1 tsp mustard seeds , when it starts to sputter, add the slit green chilies and turmeric powder and fry for a min or so , next add 2 cups of water.
- When it starts to boil, add the white mustard seeds paste , add salt and let cook for 2 minutes .
- Next add the crabs, cover and cook on medium heat, once the crabs are almost cooked, add the lemon juice at the end and let simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Squeeze out lemon juice just before use , to reduce the chances of turning bitter.
- After addition of lemon juice, make sure not to cook for more than 4 to 5 minutes , else curry might turn bitter.
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!