Preparation time : 30- 40 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 5
- 1 lb. crab ( I have used blue crab , you can use any crab of your choice)
- 2 green chilies , slit lengthwise
- 1" piece of ginger , minced
- 5 large shallots, chopped
- 5 large garlic flakes , minced
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 pc kokam or a marble sized tamarind
- 4 -5 curry leaves
- Salt, as reuired
- 2 tbsp oil
- These are my live crabs. First take out its claws very very carefully . If you are a beginner, it's better to use kitchen gloves as a precaution.
- Then take out the legs.
- Then remove this part completely from the bottom portion of the crab as shown in the figure below .Press hard at the very bottom to crack open the shell .
- This is how it looks once you de- shell the crab.
- Remove the hard outer shell completely and use the flesh part.
- Cut into half at the point shown in the figure.
- Next in a large pan , add 1/2 cup of water , to it add the crab pieces, green chilies, minced ginger , salt, kokam/tamarind and cook on a low flame for 5 to 7 minutes or until all the water evaporates .
- Do not overcook the crab. Keep aside.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil, add the mustard seeds, when it starts to sputter, add chopped shallot and garlic and fry well till you get a nice golden brown color.
- Next add turmeric powder, red chili flakes and pepper powder, cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Lastly add the crab pieces, and vapor cook for another 2 - 3 minutes until all the flavors blend well .
- Since this dish has a dry consistency, serve hot with rice and dal or any curry of your choice.
- If you do not want to deal with live crabs , put it in the freezer , according to health dept.rules it is the most humane way to put a crab in the freezer to num it before you cook it, it needs only about half hour to 45 mins.
- Do not boil fresh crabs in water, you will loose the goodness in them.
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!