This is an authentic dish from God's own country Kerala. If you love garlic you are sure to love this dish as there are lot of garlic flavors going in.
Preparation time : 25 minutes
Cooking time :20 minutes
Serves : 5 to 6
- 2 lbs. cat fish, cut into 2" pieces lengthwise
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup Shallot , chopped lengthwise
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger , minced
- 24 garlic cloves (small), Use less in no. if using larger cloves
- 4 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 2 tsp vinegar / lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
Ingredients for seasoning (tadka in Indian terms)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp shallot , chopped
- 6 garlic cloves (small) , minced ; Use less in no.if using larger cloves
- 4 whole red chilies, chopped into small pieces
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Wash the fish thoroughly and cut into 2" pieces , lengthwise.
- In a deep skillet, add all the above ingredients with 2 cups of water, except the ones for seasoning .
- Add fish to it and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the gravy comes to a thicker consistency.
- For seasoning (tadka), heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non stick skillet , add mustard seeds, when it starts to sputter, add garlic , shallot , chopped red chilies and curry leaves, fry well.
- Now add the seasoning on top of the curry and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with Rice.
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!