Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves : 4 to 5
- 1 lb. catfish
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds ( methi)
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curd
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
- Wash the fish thoroughly, cut into 2" cubes. Keep aside
- Heat a medium sized skillet , add grated coconut in it and dry- fry (ie without using oil)the coconut to golden brown in a very low flame. Make sure not to over fry the coconut by continuously stirring with a spatula. Keep aside.
- In a same way, dry-fry the coriander seeds .Once smell starts to come out , remove and keep aside.
- Add the fried coconut and coriander seeds in a blender, add 1/4 cup of water and make it to a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet , add mustard seeds, once it starts to sputter, add the fenugreek seeds. When you get a sweet and sour flavor and the seeds turn golden brown, add curry leaves , green chilies and onion. Add a pinch of salt so that the onion gets cooked quickly. When onion turns golden brown, add tomato and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add 1 tbsp curd with 2 tsp turmeric and 2 tsp red chili powder.Add 1 tbsp water and mix well.
- Now add this mixture in the curry and fry well.
- Then add a cup of water ,when it starts to simmer add the fish pieces in the curry and let it cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add salt, according to your taste.
- Once the fish is half cooked, add the paste of fried coconut and coriander seeds, prepared earlier, in the curry and cook till the fish is fully done.
- Serve hot with rice.
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!