This is an authentic prawn recipe from Goa cooked in a spicy coconut sauce with raw mangoes.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 20 - 25 minutes
Serves : 4 to 5
- 20 medium sized prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 cups of grated coconut
- 8 -10 whole black pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 whole red chilies
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- a marble sized tamarind
- 1 medium sized raw mango, cut into small pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
- Water, as required
- Shell prawns. Remove the head and intestines and wash well. Apply salt and set aside. Do not throw away the prawn heads , they add in more flavors to a dish.
- Soak the tamarind in water for about 10 minutes and take out the pulp.
- Grind together red chillies, coriander, cumin, turmeric, black pepper and coconut with the tamarind pulp to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a non stick skillet, add onions and fry ; once the onions turn translucent, add the spice paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add the raw mango slices , add water and salt as required and bring to a boil on medium heat . Cook for 5 minutes , then add the prawns and the prawn heads and cook till they are fully cooked.
- Serve hot with rice .
Sending this recipe to the event : JFI - Re-Run - Mango
also sending for event Dish name starts with : G
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!