Preparation time : 30 minutes
(including marination time)
Cooking time : 35 minutes
Serves : 4-5
- 1 lbs Catfish (You can use any fish of your choice)
- 2 medium sized onion
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1 tbsp Red chili powder
- Coriander leaves, 1/2 bunch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- whole garam masala (1 cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 2 cloves, 1 black cardamom)
- Ghee/butter, as required
- Oil, as required
- Salt to taste
- 2 -3 drops kewra water
Marination for fish :
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp Ginger and Garlic paste
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Biriyani Masala( I always prepare Biriyani masala at home. Following are the ingredients)
- Wash the fish thoroughly and cut into 2" pieces. Wash the basmati rice properly and keep aside.
- Marinate the fish with the ingredients as mentioned above and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee/butter in a non stick deep skillet, fry the whole garam masala, add rice and fry again for less than a minute . Add water , a pinch of salt and cook rice till its half boiled.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil , fry 2 chopped onions with 1 tbsp red chili powder till it gets golden brown .Then add 1 chopped tomato and cook till it gets pulpy. At the end, add the marinated fish and cook till the fish is half done.
- In an Oven safe large serving dish with a tight lid, lay the rice at the bottom and spread. Layer with the fish gravy. If you wish, you can add a layer of fried onions (You can either use store fried onions or make it at home). Sprinkle a few drops of Kewra Water . Repeat with a layer of rice and curry followed by sprinkling kewra water . Layer until all the rice and gravy has been used up. Pour the lime juice on top.
- Put the lid on the vessel. Make a seal so that the steam cannot escape at all. Put this dish inside a preheated oven at 250 deg F. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes and turn off the oven.
- Do not remove Biriyani for atleast one hour from the Oven.
- Served with Raita.
I'm sending this recipe to Akilas kitchen for the event : Dish name starting with F
Like our Recipes? Subscribe via Email to get the latest Updates!